On the 15th of February US Congressman from Virginia Bob Goodlatte reintroduced HR 4777, the “Internet Gambling Prohibition Act.” Goodlatte hopes to pass the bill, which will amend the earlier Title 18 of the United States Code containing the Federal Wire Act passed in 1961. The Wire Act outlawed telephone betting by making it illegal to place bets by “wire transmission.”The explosion of Internet poker rooms and sports books in recent years was possible only as a result of the ambiguity surrounding the definition of “wire”. While opponents of Internet gambling insisted that the meaning included cable, satellite, and cellular technology, no court would uphold a conviction based on that definition. Goodlatte hopes to amend that by expanding the Code to include all forms of electronic transmission, as well as to include all types of bets.Earlier attempts to pass the legislation were thwarted by the lobbying efforts of Jack Abramoff, according to Gooodlatte’s office. But Abramoff’s recent guilty pleas to fraud, tax evasion and conspiracy to bribe public officials have added political capital to Goodlatte’s campaign.According to Goodlatte “Illegal online gambling doesn’t just hurt gamblers and their families, it hurts the economy by draining dollars from the United States and serve as a vehicle for money laundering,” stated Goodlatte. “It is time to shine a bright light on these illegal sites and bring a quick end to illegal gambling on the Internet.””But outlawing online gambling won’t stop the activity.” says Will Catlett of Sportsbettingscams.org, an industry watchdog site. “It will only drive it underground. If online gambling is outlawed then the government will lose its ability to legislate online gambling policy and police it’s dangers, not to mention its ability to tax the transactions. Goodlatte’s bill will do exactly the opposite of what it wants to do.”As of July 2005, according to Forrester polls, there were over 300,000 gambling websites entertaining over 7,000,000 online gamblers. While the bulk of traffic to these websites initially came from the United States, that number is now around 40% as players are attracted from all over the world. If the bill is passed, the industry will shrink dramatically, and shift its focus to other nations. Meanwhile, online gamblers in the United States will be out of luck. “It’s amazing to me that this bill just might pass quietly with little or no resistance.” says Catlett. “Anyone who enjoys gambling online really should write their State Representative to let them know why this bill shouldn’t go through.”
Game is a very peculiar side of the human life that has its own laws, which do not fit into the framework of traditional logic. Here reigns His Majesty Chance and everything is relative: the weak can defeat the strong, the cunning can make a fool of himself, the poor can become rich, and vice versa.Gamble opens up new possibilities of the personality, which are often not displayed in ordinary life. Almost everybody wants to get rich at once, without any efforts. Game gives a hope for this, but luck is destiny of the chosen ones.Origins of the game.
Game and gamble has followed the humanity since its first steps. A grain of gamble is evident almost in everything, starting from hunting in the primitive society and up to major financial deals in the 21st century. Elements of game are inherent to many competitions and entertainments, which our forefathers arranged. For example, it is evident in competitions in strength and deftness, which were later transformed into famous tournaments. Later on the first gambling games appeared. They were based on the element of chance, trying one’s destiny.The historians believe that the very first game was casting various stones, shells, animals’ bones – these objects were the prototypes of the dice. Documental evidence of the first games is stored in the British Museum. Among this evidence are dice, made by an unknown Egyptian craftsman from the elephant’s tusk (16th century B.C.) and a board for playing draughts, also called checkers which belonged to the queen Hatchepsut (1600 B.C.).Historical evidence attests that all ancient civilizations played dice. Astragalus,i.e. fetlocks of the animals, were mostly used as dice. The word “astragalus” also referred to tetrahedral bricks with indentations, which more resembled modern dice – hexahedral bricks with somewhat rounded corners, in which the opposite facets, when added up, always amount to seven.In the old days the people played odd and even, cast dice in the circle or threw them, trying to hit certain openings. Dice were also widely used for fortune-telling. It is also interesting that the players treated dice with nearly reverent trepidation, as if the dice were alive: the players talked to them, whispered charms and tried to persuade them to bring victory.Since their emergence dice almost at once became one of the most venturesome gambling games. The players placed everything in their bet: money, things, dwelling and even freedom (ancient Germans who lost in dice humbly became slaves). At the same time there appeared various lawful bans on this seemingly harmless game. For instance, in the 3rd century B.C. the first known in history law against gambling games was adopted. It was called Lex aleatoria (alea means a die).In Ancient Greece there was a legend that the Olympic gods divided the “spheres of influence” by casting lots (Zeus got the Olympus, Poseidon received the ocean, and Hades came to rule the underworld). The laws of Ancient Rome formally forbade gambling games, but there was no specific punishment for violation of the ban. The only “penalty” for the players was the right of the defeated player to reclaim everything he lost, if he though that he was wrongly or unfairly defeated. Officially the games were allowed only once a year, during the Saturnalia (annual festivities in honour of the god Saturn).Throughout the years the significance of the game increased. There appeared new game contrivances, for example cards. Some researchers argue that the first playing-cards appeared in China. In the Chinese dictionary, Ching-tsze-tung (1678), mentions that cards were created in 1120 (according to the Christian chronology), and in 1132 they were already widely used. Cards at those times were long and narrow plates with numbers from 1 to 14 on them. Four suits symbolized four seasons, and the number of cards (52) corresponded to the number of weeks in the year.The prototype of the modern deck of cards is the Tarot cards. The first documentary witness that we know of refers to 1254, when Saint Louis issued an edict that forbade card game within France under the fear of punishment with a whip.Other researchers call Egypt the homeland of cards. The Tarot deck was used for fortune-telling. It had 78 sheets – arkana (22 seniors and 56 juniors). The pictures on the senior arkans correspond to golden tables, which are preserved in the dungeon of the god Tote in Egypt. Their names are as follows: 1. Fool; 2. Magician; 3. Priestess; 4. Hostess; 5. Host; 6. High priest; 7. Lovers; 8. Chariot; 9. Power; 10. Hermit; 11. The wheel of fortune; 12. Justice; 13. The hanged man; 14. Death; 15. Abstinence; 16. Devil; 17. Tower; 18. Star; 19. Moon; 20. Sun; 21. Court; 22. Peace.It is considered that cards reached Europe in the 10-11th century, during the crusades to the Near East. Other argue that the majority of card games were born in France, which is called the homeland of European cards. The first factory-made deck of Tarot cards included 56 cards of four suits (swords, wands, money and cups). Besides there were 22 trump-cards with numbers from 1 to 21. Every card had a name of its own: the emperor, the empress, the nun, the conjurer, the fool etc. Thus, the deck incorporated 97 cards. Gradually it was substituted by new cards, which more closely resembled the modern ones.It is surprising that the symbols of suits and the suits themselves did not change since 15th century. In the Middle Ages card games were very popular among various strata of population, ranging from a king’s court to the common people. By the way, in those times cards were not only a means to beguile the time, but also a symbol of the society structure: hearts embodied the priests, diamonds meant the bourgeoisie, spades represented officers and aristocracy, clubs referred to the peasants.Modern card games (poker, blackjack) arose in the U.S. in the second half of the 19th century. It is difficult to name them all. There are card games for adults and children, games for training logic and wit – and there are games just to beguile the time. The more mature is the individual, the more complex are the games he plays. Having become financially independent, he lets loose his gamble: makes bets, plays in the lotteries, makes bets on the totalizator and finally funds himself in the very temple of game, the casino. Here the individual totally submits to the game, which sharpens his feelings and emotions and makes him forget everything, but the green cloth and roulette wheel. The thirst for such feelings lures again and again those people, who have at least once been in the casino. Meanwhile, the skeptics say: “If you want to win in the casino, buy one of those”.
If you are new to the world of sports online gambling you may find it easy to become overwhelmed. All professional gamblers were in your shoes at one time or another. Without proper guidance the fact of the matter is you will not consistently win your bets. The good news is there are many resources that can help you achieve the know how required to make a successful living off of sports online gambling. Here are 5 tips to get you started.1. Learn the basics. If you don’t know the difference between a point spread and a parlay you may have some trouble breaking into this world. There is a ton of info online aimed at beginners to get them started. Take advantage of this.2. Gamble responsibly. The advent of online gambling has also lead to an increase in gambling addiction. Until you have a very solid system in place, remember why you started doing this in the first place, to have fun.3. Develop or obtain a system. Every professional gambler uses a system. The key to any good system is maximizing wins and minimizing losses. It may take years to develop a good system yourself, but many pros have already done the work for you and are willing to sell you their system. Often times, buying these are well worth it when you consider the price is what you would spend on a few bets.4. Bet with your head, not with your heart. One of the biggest mistakes made over and over again by newcomers to sports online gambling is betting on favorite teams, or a team they saw put a great performance in, on television the week before. One way to combat this is to just not bet when your team is playing if you have a hard time betting against them.5. Make friends. Many types of gambling take place in public settings with many other people around. Casinos, horse tracks, these places give you instant camaraderie with like minded souls. When it comes to sports online gambling you are often alone. Reach out to other people with similar hobbies, whether it be in real life or through online forums. Not only will you learn a lot but it will help to have someone who understands when you take a tough loss, or better when you land a huge win.
Money management is an important aspect of online gambling. Since, there are innumerable risks involved in the field of casino gambling, one needs to be careful. In fact, it has emerged as one of the most bantered term in this domain. Moreover, without money, no matter how indomitable the player is, he does not stand a chance. But then, managing money over here is not that easy as it sounds. One needs to have* Strategy
* Self controlThe term “money management” has different interpretations for different gamblers. For some, it means the bankroll management for increasing one’s longevity at the table but for others, it’s a certain kind of betting strategy which decreases the edge of house advantage. Numerous books and articles for casino games have been inked for this subject. But most of the times, all of them reveal the same theories and tactics. At times, for those players who are about to set their first foot forward, these articles act as warnings rather than guides. So, here is a very fundamental revelation of the need of money management and the tricks to adopt for it. Need of money management”Who cares?” Even those who are filthy rich cannot afford to think so, in terms of online gambling, which has mercilessly devastated thousand of gamblers. No doubt, online gambling is an addiction, but at the same time, intelligence and wise betting aid in extra income.Unlike lottery, no one transforms into a millionaire within a single night, at online gambling. It’s more similar to stock exchange and sports betting. Luck cannot be the only aid to depend upon. Moreover, defeating the housing advantage is quite tricky. After all, in online gambling there are no opponents who can be scrutinized, followed and tricked. Every game is a new challenge. Ignorance and lack of proper money management have led to stupendous failures for outstanding gamblers. For those, who had adopted online gambling as their only profession, this failure has doomed them to utmost degree of bankruptcy. Generally, gamblers donot indentify the grave consequences, which occur after the incessant losses.Gamblers might not win a losing bet by having more money but they definitely can play for longer bets, thereby compensating their earlier loses. With money, the online gamblers also have the sense of security and thus, they can delve into more risk cycles.But before starting with any online casino game, the gamblers should know the following answers.* The amount that can be spent before calling off the game: The gamblers should only bet as much as they can afford to lose. It takes only a second to transform into a panicked gambler, who is engrossed in recouping losses by taking wild odds.
* The amount that can be accepted before calling off the game: Logging off from the casino site as a winner, too, demands self control. One has to be reasonable enough to prevent oneself from further paroxysms of temptations.This is the most basic fundamental of money management. Until and unless, these two basic judgments are not made by the gambler, in advance, he might end up losing all his financial assets. Understanding constancy of house edgeThe entire concept that betting system can affect the house advantage is mere fallacy. It’s similar to making the payment of mortgage o double basis rather than per month. This will in no way affect the interest. In the same manner, doubling the amount of a single bet and escaping one bet, might not make a lot of difference. The fundamentals of money managementThe entire aim of money management strategies and techniques is to enhance the earnings of the online casino player. This also works for lessening the house advantage for the online players, without increasing the risk cycles.But at the same time, here are a few facts which justify losses in spite of flawless usage of money management.* The strategy does not make you the indisputable winner of every table or card game. It just maximizes your winnings and reduces your loss.
* Bad play of bad luck cannot be compensated by the usage of flawless management strategies.
* Always remember that the House Advantage has ample strategies to wear out the gamblers who might have been using goal based money management strategies.Some disastrous additions to managing strategies* Double after losing bets: Few casino experts believe that this might, somehow, lessen your losses. But then, if main trouble initiates when the number of lost bets increases. No doubt, such big losses cannot be recovered.
* Double after winning bets: This is also known as let-it-ride technique. This strategy confirms that the biggest loss occurs at player’s highest bet, which indeed is not an intelligent decision.Some important tips for money management are as follows* Do not invest your entire bank roll for just one session of online gambling. It’s advisable to divide one’s bankroll on the basis of gambling sessions. This prevents the obsessive addition of tomorrow’s money into today’s investment.
* The entire winning goal should be set up, as to how much, is the maximum necessity to win in a particular gamble. In case, the player has impressive winning, he should set aside his winnings and divided bankroll for the day, so that maximum earnings can be assured.
* A predetermined percentage for increase should be set in advance for every bet. This strategy is known as method of progressive winning.
* Do not increase the bet amount when one has been recently nabbed with losses.
* Be disciplined. It’s the most crucial and important part of proper money management.
* Select the advantageous gambling opportunities, be it, recognizing the odd bets, playing conditions or game rules.
* Winning streaks do not occur every day. So one should not end the rare magical moment by quitting the hands.The unfortunate sin in Online Gambling, is the aimless pursuit of chasing one’s losses. This baseless hope means that the next bet might lead to the winning streak and the lost money can be recovered in one go. Winning or losing is not in one’s hand, but definitely limiting one’s respective losses is.Most of the online casino players, who have had continuous winning streaks, might ignore the house advantage. This should never be done as it’s a mere disillusion rather than reality.Finally, one needs to realize that there won’t be scarcity of online casinos in the coming future but, if one does not adopt a potential money management practice, there would definitely be scarcity of one’s hard earned money.